Monday, October 13, 2014

The Bucket A-Go A Well


At approximately 10:20 yesterday morning, as the runners in the 42nd annual LBI 18 Mile Run were milling around the starting area in Holgate - at LBI's southern tip - I was stretching out in front of the Jolly Roger Motel.  Playing on the Motel's P.A. system?  "I Shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley and the Wailers.   


LBI always makes me think of my great friend, Dave Lackland.  When we were kids - at W-H - Dave's parents had a home on LBI.  He lives outside of the United States these days so I do not pretend to know either (a) if his parents still have a home there; or (b) when the last time was he spent any time on LBI.  It matters not.  In my mind's eye, when I think of LBI I think of Dave.  

Working off of memory, I believe that it was through Dave that I heard Bob Marley's music for the first time.  As kids, he was far better versed in music than I was.  I do know that once exposed to Marley's music, as well as to that of Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff and other reggae music, I was hooked.  And for that I owe Dave. 

Yesterday, I headed north from Holgate and a tad more than three hours later I ran past Margaret waiting right near the finish line.  Eighteen miles and three hours later.  I had hoped to cover the course in or about two hours and forty-five minutes.  It was not to be.  A bit more than fourteen miles in I developed a wicked cramp behind my left knee.  The final four miles devolved into a bit of a knife fight between my left leg and the rest of my body.  Fortunately, the rest of my body had my mind on its side.  Slow and steady did not win the race (I finished in 397th place, which was a bit of a bummer as I had my heart set on a Top-395 finish) but it certainly enabled me to complete it.  

The greatest motivation I derive from something such as this event, which for me is an incredible challenge both physically and mentally, is knowing that I am running towards Margaret.  My wife is a champ.  She dropped me off at St. Francis Community Center at 9:30 yesterday morning and then waited patiently for me to finally reach her at Barnegat Light House, which happened at 1:30 P.M.  She is truly better than I deserve.  

One hell of a nice way to spend a Sunday.  Damn happy that I have her with whom to spend it.

-AK  

No comments: