Thursday, October 30, 2014

Oops Dreams

In the interest of full disclosure, I am constrained to acknowledge that irrespective of the time/date stamp that appears with this piece, I have composed it prior to Game Seven of the 2014 World Series having been played.  Thus, I write it not knowing whether the transplanted former favorite team of WPK, Sr. has captured its third World Series title in the past five years or the sweethearts of America's Heartland have completed their epic journey in from the cold by winning their second World Series title in the past twenty-nine years.  

Either way, from the perspective of a baseball fan with no rooting interest in the outcome of the Series, I have to say that the portions of it that I have watched I have enjoyed very much.  It makes me very happy as a fan of the sport that (a) this year's World Series has been evenly matched and fairly compelling; and (b) this year's World Series shall be completed in October.  Bravo on both counts. 

The place in my heart occupied by my love of baseball never has to worry about sharing space with and/or making room for professional basketball.  I did not realize - until I was making the great migration north on Route 287 in the wee small hours yesterday morning - that the NBA season had started on Tuesday night and that both of the New York teams played their season openers last night. I am aware of the fact that professional basketball is big business and, in fact, many people who I know and admire have a keen rooting interest in at least one of the NBA's teams.  It is - for whatever reason - a sport that has never held any fascination for me.  

If you are a fan, then enjoy your 2014-15 season, which has begun in the week preceding Halloween and shall, as I understand it, end at or about Father's Day.  Perhaps one year - albeit not this one - shall be the one in which the NBA, a professional league in which the majority of the athletes who comprise its teams' rosters are African-American, shall come to the realization that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "Dream" was not to see twelve NBA games played on the Federal Holiday established to celebrate his birthday.  

Come to think of it, I doubt that Jesus ever blew out the candles on his birthday cake wishing for an NBA Quintuple-Header on his birthday...

....given that he was a manger baby, I am guessing that his preference was for a pony ride. 

-AK 

No comments: