Saturday, August 9, 2014

Scenes From One Damn Short Movie...

A programming note, which I write not because I suffer from any delusion of grandeur regarding the number of people who stop by here on at least a recurring basis - and in some cases a daily basis - but simply because I am aware that at least one person does.  One month from Monday shall be the thirteenth September 11 since September 11, 2001.  Beginning next week, and running through September 11, 2014 I shall use this space to pay a poor man's homage to those who lost their lives that day. 

If for whatever reason that is the sort of information you would rather not read and would prefer not to be exposed to, then feel free to step away.  I do it not because it is important to me, as an American and as a human being, to to whatever I can to ensure that those who died that day are (a) not forgotten; and (b) not marginalized by being reduced to a number or to a piece of statistical data.  Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, daughters, sons, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins were murdered that day.  Each lived a life that impacted the lives of others.  

Thus endeth the programming note...

When I made it home from the day's wars on Thursday I found a nice piece of mail waiting for me.  


"The Letter"
Rudy Brandl

Saturday, October 18, 2014 is the annual Fall Fair/Homecoming/Alumni Awards Ceremony at Wardlaw-Hartridge, which is the Alma mater for the back half of the Kenny sextet, former employer of Joanie K and WPK, Sr. and the place where WPK, Sr. was undoubtedly the happiest over the final decade or so of his life.  For any and all W-H alums who stop by this space, whether you have not been on campus for a long time or you are a regular attendee at this event I would say (without even a hint of modesty as I am one of the members of the school's Athletic Hall-of-Fame Committee) that you really should try to make it to W-H for this year's ceremony. 

You shall note - no doubt - that among the members of the Athletic Hall of Fame's Class of 2014 is Tom Glasser, Class of 1978.  He is one of those fathers/husbands/sons to whom I referred in the paragraph above who was murdered on September 11, 2001.  To my knowledge, he is the only graduate of Wardlaw, Hartridge and/or Wardlaw-Hartridge who was murdered that day.  While at Wardlaw and thereafter Wardlaw-Hartridge (the '78 class was the first W-H graduating class) he was an extraordinary cross-country runner and track and field athlete.  It is our honor to honor Tom and, by extension, his wife, their children and their family.  

Similarly, it is our honor to pay tribute to all of the fine folks identified in Rudy's letter.  If you would like to attend and you have any questions or comments or whatever then contact Rudy directly.  I have heard rumors that the women who comprised the undefeated 1984 State Champion Softball Team are trying to organize an alumni game of some sort to be played that afternoon prior to the Awards Ceremony.  Let me say this - as someone who recalls seeing Patty Wysock pitch thirty years ago:  You are a far braver person than I am if you pick up a bat and stand in against her.  Three decades ago, no one could touch her.   

If you are forgetful - we are not kids any longer after all - or perhaps simply need a visual reminder, then might I suggest this nifty "SAVE THE DATE" magnet:


I suspect that the one I have affixed to the fridge in our kitchen has a tad more "sticktoitiveness" than the one here but that is a problem easily remedied.  Scotch tape, construction adhesive and gum all jump to the forefront of my mind as tools that would permit you to affix the "SAVE THE DATE" magnet I have provided here to your very own fridge at home.         

Hope to see you there.  We can all meet 'neath the vapor light...




-AK

No comments: