Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Waves of Light and Water

If we did all the things we are capable of,
We would literally astound ourselves.
- Thomas Edison

If you are at all like me...well then I feel more empathy for you than I ever can hope to express properly.  Additionally, if you are at all like me then you find a certain part of your day-to-day dedicated to overcoming your fears.  No, not your "Egads a spider!" type of fears but, rather, the genuinely tough ones.  The fear of failure.  The fear of being embarrassed for having put ourselves out there.  The fear of disappointing ourselves and those who love us and those who we love most of all.  To varying degrees every day of our lives we deal with that fear - whether we realize it or not. 

A life in which we try our hardest to never ever be afraid will likely be fairly peaceful and anxiety-free.  But will it be worth living?  A question to which only you can provide the answer.  Parenthetically though I would say simply this.  This is not our warm up act.  Nor, after all, is it a practice run.  We get but one ride on this carousel.  Once the music stops, the ride is over and our time here has been completely consumed.  We do not get a refund on any portion of it we feel - in hindsight - disappointed us.  Life comes with but one label affixed to its package:  Caveat Emptor.  We make of it what we make of it.  Us.  Not someone else.

I know not what works for you in terms of quelling your fears on a day-to-day basis.  I know merely what works for me.  That is simply this:  I keep in the forefront of my mind who - and what - is important to me.  I think of those without whom my life would simply not be worth the hassle.  And I weigh the importance in doing those things that must be done to ensure that I remain ready and willing to honor my commitment to them - and to myself - against the anxiety associated with my daily fears.  To date, I am undefeated.  You know what?  You are too.  No need to overthink this thing. 

Just keep doing what you are doing.  Today.  Tomorrow.  And all the days that follow. 

Win the day. 

Make sure your worst enemy doesn't 
Live between your own two ears.
- Laird Hamilton

-AK 

No comments: