Thursday, July 10, 2014

Be Courageous & Be Brave

I suppose that if I had the patience to do it, I would purchase the piece needed to adapt my iPod to the stereo in my car so that I can listen to the music I listen to, often, when I run while I drive.  I do not.  I have not.  And in all likelihood, I shall not.  Thus, I am a hostage to either whatever cds I have strewn about the passenger compartment or whatever is available on the FM band for my listening pleasure (giving that term the broadest possible definitional interpretation permitted by the Einstein Estate) as I make my trek to Parsippany in the wee small hours of the morning.

More often than not, I flip around the dial in a manner consistent with how one afflicted with adult ADHD should, catching snippets of songs, commercials and the like.  I suppose I should care more than I do.  Candidly, at 4:00 AM it is as much about finding noise to stay awake by as it is anything else. 

Wednesday morning, as I was flipping around the dial, I picked up the latter half of what was one of Suzanne and Rob's favorite songs when they were little:  "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart. 


Apparently, Margaret's ex-husband Bob was a big Rod Stewart fan (whether he is presently is a question to which I would not pretend to know the answer) and the kids used to listen to a lot of Stewart's music on the weekends they spent at Bob's house and while they were out and about in his car.  Margaret and I started dating in the Summer of 1991, which was the summer before Suzanne entered 2nd grade and Rob entered 1st grade.  Personally, Rod Stewart is an artist towards whom I have always been essentially neutral but since the kids were such fans I made it a point to buy a copy of a few of his cassettes to have available to pop into the tape deck of my trusty VW Fox for them to listen to whenever we were out and about in my car.

Stewart played a concert at Continental Airlines Arena in late September 1991.  I had just started my first semester at Seton Hall Law.  Being unconcerned as to what the reaction of other adults might be, I bought four tickets to Stewart's show so that Suzanne, Rob, Margaret and I could go.  At no other time in recorded history have so many people simultaneously called "411" in search of the phone number for DYFS as they did that evening as the four of us strode through the parking lot and into the arena.  Our seats were dreadful.   We sat in the very last row in the arena's upper level directly behind the stage.  The saving grace for us was that Stewart spent about 40% of the show singing in the direction of those of us seated behind him and given just how few "behind the stage" seats there were, when he did so my two felt - for a moment anyway - as if they had front-row seats. 

I smile whenever I hear "Forever Young" on the radio because it immediately takes me back to that evening.  Stewart was on tour in support of whatever record contained that song and when he performed it Suzanne and Rob sang along.  Both knew every word - as they did for most of (if not all of) his set list, which included a number of songs he recorded and made famous years before either of them first appeared. 

When I arrived at the office on Wednesday morning, I came across an item on-line that traced its roots back to one of my all-time favorite things:  Calvin and Hobbes.  If you have a minute or three to spare - and that comic strip occupies a special place in your heart and in your memory as it does in mine - then check it out: http://m.tickld.com/x/this-guy-just-changed-the-way-we-seecalvin-and-hobbes.  I think you shall be happy you did.  I know that I am that I took the time to read it.  

Nice to be reminded - and important to remember - that while the carrying case ages, grays, grows weary and eventually runs out of steam altogether, the soul that serves as its engine need not do so.  Our body shall ultimately betray us.  It means not to but it shall.  Its flaws are inherent and not capable of being engineered out of existence.  It matters not.  

It matters not as long as we remember to feed our soul.  It matters not as long as we do what we must to ensure that while one day Death shall claim us, being "old" never shall...



-AK    

No comments: