Thursday, July 31, 2014

As The Footsteps Lead Us Home...

I would be remiss if I did not mention that today is the birthday of one of my favorite people, Gracie.  I like to think that had the first six of us not scared the prospect of a seventh Kenny child out of my parents' loins entirely that she would have been the younger sister I never had.  A good human being she is.  I see far less of her these days than I would like, which means that I probably see more of her than she would like (if history is any guide).  I know however that she is doing well, which is something she most certainly deserves. 

Speaking of good people...

Tuesday evening the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation sent me the e-mail confirming that when Margaret and I registered for the 2014 Tunnel to Towers Run in New York City, which shall take place on Sunday, September 28, part of our entry fee covered a ticket to the August 23 game between the Yankees and the Chicago White Sox.  There may be no family in the annals of recorded history who has more completely transformed something horrific - the murder of their brother Stephen, 342 other members of the FDNY and countless other first responders and civilians at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 - into something incredible.  The work their Foundation performs is - if I may be permitted to raise understatement to dizzying heights - inspiring.  http://tunnel2towers.org/

Anyway, I must confess that I had been mostly ambivalent about the notion of making a trip into the Bronx on a Saturday afternoon in late August.  That is until the Yankees announced that August 23 shall be Joe Torre Day at the Stadium.  It is on that day that the Yankees shall pay homage to the manager of baseball's last dynasty.  His #6 shall be retired and he shall be enshrined forever in Monument Park.  A well-deserved tribute to the man whose twelve Yankees teams won 406 more games than they lost as he compiled the second-highest regular season win total of any manager in Yankees history, trailing only Joe McCarthy (not the "Red Scare" Joe McCarthy, the other one who was an actual human being).  His post-season resume, which included four World Series championships and six American League pennants was not too shabby either. 

Linking a good man with a great cause seems to me to be one hell of a fine way to spend a late summer Saturday afternoon. 

And so we shall. 


Tunnel2Towers NYC 2013 Sand Sculpture

-AK

No comments: