Friday, June 6, 2014

Tickets Purchased & Suitcases Packed




I was fourteen years old when my father died.  He did not live long enough to see me - his youngest of six children - get married.  

This evening my only son shall be married.  At some time shortly after 5:00 pm he and Jess shall exchange their vows.  They shall do so just about nine months to the minute after Rob's sister Suzanne and her husband Ryan did likewise.  It has been one hell of a banner year for weddings in our home.  One hell of a year indeed. 

To have lived long enough to see both of my children get married warms the little charcoal briquette I facetiously call a heart more than I can properly express.  At this point in my life, I have borne witness to many remarkable things that each has done.  And this evening I shall see my son marry.  I have made out better in this life than I had any right to expect.

No one likes to hear a lawyer talk - well, except for the lawyer himself I suppose - so this evening Yours truly shall smile much and speak little.  If I was to speak, to my son and my daughter-in-law on this their day of days, I would offer nothing more than this...

The mere thought of the two of you makes me smile. As a father, the thing for which I hoped most of all for Rob was that he would find Peace.  In Jess, he has found Peace.  She has brought it into his day-to-day.  For that, I shall be forever grateful. 

I love you both very much.  I could not be happier for you or prouder of you than I am.  As the Poet Laureate of Freehold once observed, rather famously in fact, "You'll need a good companion now for this part of the Ride."  Each of you has chosen an exceptional companion. 

May much Love, much Luck and most of all much Peace always travel with You. 

Slainte!    

...as off you go down the road of your Life together, taking what you can carry.  Safe journey.  Be good to one another.  Always.


-AK

No comments: