Sunday, June 8, 2014

Just What The Doctor Ordered

Today heralds the final scenes of what has been an extraordinary couple of days in our little corner of the world.  Margaret and I woke up yesterday to find ourselves as the parents of not one - but two - children who are now so fully immersed in the adult world that each has a spouse to prove it.  How much more adult can one get than "Party to a Legally Binding Social Contract"?  Not very. 

This morning the Missus and I shall pack our gear and break camp from what has been our home away from home since Thursday - the White Sands Motel and Resort on Ocean Avenue in Point Pleasant Beach.  It had been so long since I had spent any time in a Jersey Shore "resort" that prior to checking in here on Thursday I cannot recall when the last time is I had done so.  Irrespective of the reason I had last done so, it paled in comparison to why we have been here these past few days.  In the past nine months I have walked my daughter down the aisle and stood on a beach to watch my son marry.  I have gotten far better than I deserve.  Far better.

The Texas Tornado and Ryan are flying back to the Land of All Hat, No Cattle this morning.  For once however it is their time there that shall be short.  By this time next week they will have relocated to the State of Concrete Gardens.  May the week to come pass for them as smoothly and as painlessly as possible. 

Meanwhile the newlyweds are off beginning their journey as husband and wife.  Margaret and I are thrilled to have added a DIL to the family.  She is the perfect complement to the SIL we brought on board nine months ago.  She completes the set much in the same way as Pepper does Salt.   

The northbound lanes of the Parkway beckon.  Work resumes tomorrow.  Reality awaits.  Too much to bear?  Not even close.  In the words of the immortal Dr. Seuss, "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened."  

Believe me when I say this:  You should listen to Seuss.  After all, he was a doctor. 

-AK  

No comments: