Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Sixth of Fifth

I think that love is so much easier than you realize,
If you can give yourself to someone, then you should.
-Dawes

The 6th has become my favorite day of the month.  It was on the 6th of September - eight 6ths ago - that Suzanne and Ryan were married.  And on the 6th of June - one 6th away - Rob and Jess shall be married.

Pretty heady times for my two - and for their two too.  Damn happy that I have been given the chance to be here and to bear witness to it.  On a shelf in my office I have a photograph that Margaret took of Suzanne, Rob and me on the Tilt-A-Whirl at Jenkinson's in the summer of '91.  The four of us went there one evening not too long after Margaret and I started dating.  I smile when I look at that photograph.  All three of us look incredibly young.  Each one of us has a smile on our face. 


I am not an especially bright man.  Nor am I, all things considered, an especially good human.  Nevertheless, in spite of myself perhaps, twenty-three years up the road from that summer's night on the Jenkinson's Boardwalk, I still am privileged to see those two smiling faces.   And I am still privileged to spend my day-to-day with the woman who was behind the camera that evening.  

It is enough to make every day feel like a 6th irrespective of its position on the calendar.          

-AK

No comments: