Sunday, May 4, 2014

Running with Skewers

Among the things I enjoy the most about running - notwithstanding the impressive collection of race t-shirts I have accumulated over the course of the past four-plus years - is the sense of peace that envelops me when I run.  It is hard work to be sure.  Especially so when you are as decidedly mediocre at it as am I.  But happiness really is for me the solitude of the road early on a Sunday morning as most of the rest of the residents here 'NTSG are just beginning to stir.  It is nice to have the opportunity to be alone with my thought.  It gives a man a sense of peace.  It also gives me a sense of hope.  Maybe, just maybe, another will appear and I will have a pair.

For better or worse, among the things that has been bouncing around in my oversized cranium for some time now is an idea first planted there by two long-time friends of mine.  A lifetime ago, when I was just a baby lawyer working my first job out of law school the three of us worked together in a law firm where our day-to-day existence was "adventurous".  When any combination of the two of us gets together presently we still laugh thinking about our shared experience back in the day. 

Anyway, for years I have been saying "Oh the stories we could tell" about the things we saw and experienced and my two friends have responded by imploring me to write a book about it.  Talk about your ultimate vanity project.  Luckily for me I have an ego as big as my head.  After years of resistance I finally have succumbed to their peer pressure and started writing.  

Now that I have started it, I am obligated to finish it if for no other reason than I absolutely hate leaving something unfinished.  I hope to do sooner rather than later - perhaps by the end of the summer.  Whether it ever sees the light of day I know not.  I would not hazard a guess as to whether it actually ever should.  Ultimately that decision shall not be mine to make.  I have no plans to give up my day job.  I assure you. 

It makes me laugh as I work on it, and as I think about some of the shenanigans that we endured and the ones about which to write.  Plus, it gives me something to do between work, running and trolling DirectTV in search of reruns of The Big Bang Theory or Law & Order:  Criminal Intent.   Even if no one other than Ollie, Lonnie and Yours truly ever reads it, its purpose will have been served. 

But just in case I started following Brad Pitt on Twitter.  What better way to offer him first crack at a plum role in the film adaptation.

Goddamn alarm clock... 

...Always goes off just as I get to the good part of a dream.

-AK

No comments: