Saturday, May 3, 2014

Of Runs for Roses & Other Races of Indeterminate Distance


And as I stare over my breakfast and out into the street
I find that sorrow I've been chasing way too often,
That the man that stands in front of you is not the sum of all his dreams,
But I'm hoping they've got something in common
I'm hoping they've got somethings in common
Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/dawes/something-in-common-lyrics/#WrkfqVRRpJrAfimV.99
And as I stare over my breakfast and out into the street,
I find that sorrow I've been chasing way too often.
That the man who stands in front of you
Is not the sum of all his dreams
But I'm hoping they've got something in common
I'm hoping they've got something in common.
-Dawes
 
Today is Kentucky Derby Day.  I know less about thoroughbred horse racing than I know about most other things.  If you have either ever met me or ever stopped by this little slice of heaven before than you can appreciate just how frightening a thought that is.  I would not pretend to know which horse is going to win this race.  Presuming you allowed me to wait until they reached the top of the stretch before placing my wager I would likely still get it wrong.  If I am near a television set at race time this evening than I shall watch it.  Sadly, I am a fan neither of floppy hats nor mint juleps but I shall channel the spirit of Churchill Downs by chewing a piece of Doublemint Gum while wearing a baseball cap. 
 
My trusty CU Boulder Alumni Association Wall Calendar informs me that yesterday was the final day of classes for the 2014 Spring Semester.  Graduation is Friday, May 9.  It boggles my mind sometimes to think that it was a quarter-century ago that I graduated from CU.  There are days when it seems as if college happened only yesterday.  Then there are days when it seems as if it was something that happened a lifetime or three ago. 
 
Do you ever wonder what the "you" who you were when you graduated from college would think of the "you" you have become?  Do you ever stop to think just how present-day you thinks of once upon a lifetime ago you?  From time to time I engage in both mental exercises yet I never reach a conclusion as to what "then" me and "now" me might think of one another. 
 
Such is the way of the world and the forward-moving direction of Life I suppose.  We make decisions in the here and now more often than not.  We have little choice but to do so.  In my opinion, it is a fool's errand to ruminate over "If I knew then what I know now" since far more often than not your "failure" to possess that knowledge then was predicated upon impossibility and not inability.  
 
A quarter-century.  Where did the time go?  I know not where all of it went but when I think of my life with Margaret and I think of Suzanne and Ryan and Jess and Rob I take comfort in knowing that while I have frittered away my fair share of it, I have (in spite of myself perhaps) made more than a little something out of it.  Time well spent?  
 
Indeed. 
 
-AK   

No comments: