Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A Prayer for Global Domination?

Whether Spring has officially sprung here in the State of Concrete Gardens or is merely dipping its toe into the water I do not pretend to know.  I do know, though, that the weather this past weekend was simply terrific.  I cannot recall when I had last been able to go for nice, fairly long runs through the streets of my little town on both days of one weekend prior to this weekend.  There was substantially less chill in the air when I went out early in the afternoon on Saturday than there was when I went out at or about nine o' clock on Sunday morning.  It mattered little.  On both days, there was more than enough sunshine to keep me adequately warmed as I ran. 

I am a maddeningly inconsistent runner when it comes to the utilization of music as I run.  Often times I find music to be almost essential to a run - powering me through the tough spots and getting me home.  However, other times I find music to be too much of a distraction and I shall run sans iPod in order to let the sounds of the streets of my town serve as my accompaniment.  My use of music when I run is something that has neither rhyme nor reason. 

However, while my use of it as I run is consistently inconsistent, there are certain songs that have ended up in just about every playlist I have ever created for myself on my iPod.  Springsteen - to the surprise of no one - is well-represented (although certain of the songs might surprise you).  Several other artists, including the Foo Fighters, Tom Petty, RUSH and Bob Seger (a list meant to be illustrative, exhaustive), are also fairly well-represented. 

More surprisingly perhaps - it is to me at least - is the pocket of mid-80's British pop songs that have been fixtures from the moment I first loaded them (I never know whether the loading is "up" or "down") onto my little music-playing gadget.  I have two Simple Minds songs, "Don't You Forget About Me" and "Alive and Kicking", that are staples.  And they are invariably joined by "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by the British duo Tears for Fears. 

As someone who graduated from elementary school, high school and college  in the 1980's, all three songs are ones with which I was very familiar as a teenager.  None, however, is one that stands out in my mind's eye as having particularly resonated with me way back when they were in heavy rotation either on the radio or on MTV (you remember MTV - the network created in the 1980's for the purpose of playing music videos on television).  Yet for whatever reason each not only is presently on heavy rotation in my iPod, but serves as some sort of audio elixir for me.  I can feel my pace quickening and my stride becoming more purposeful as soon as I hear any of the three of them with the most pronounced positive effect coming to me courtesy of Tears for Fears.  

Is it possible that the real reason I run is that I have embarked on a plan of global domination, which plan is unfolding one mile at a time?  It seems unlikely if for no other reason than the combination of my lack of foot speed and relatively-mediocre level of endurance suggests that I am not the ideal candidate to be on the front line of a revolution.    

Unless it is a really, really slow-moving one....



-AK

No comments: