Wednesday, March 19, 2014

V-R Day

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey....

Today, finally, slightly more than four weeks after winning the Battle of Route 287 North and repelling Bambi much like a Russian tank division would its Ukranian counterpart during a "training exercise" in Crimea, I am to be reunited with my car.  I would jump for joy but my lack of verticality has already been documented in this space and nothing further needs to be said about it.

Shameless plug time.  If you and your car are assaulted by a medium-to-large-size woodland creature and the marauder inflicts harm upon your steel baby, then you really should acquaint yourself with Lou Tierno at Tierno's Auto Body in Middlesex.  http://www.tiernosautobody.com/.  Of course, if you are reading this from your home in Florida or the Netherlands or some such place, common sense would dictate that you find the Lou Tierno who calls your neck of the woods home as opposed to making the trek 'NTSG to meet the genuine article firsthand.  I reckon you had already arrived at that very same conclusion.

Grammatical error in his tagline notwithstanding, he is a top-flight mechanic and - as importantly when you are dealing with an insurance company (be it yours or someone else's) - a no-bullshit negotiator.  One of the things that delayed the completion of the needed repair work on my car was that my insurance carrier, which is paying for the work, sought to hold its costs down by writing an estimate that called for junkyard-quality parts to be put on my car.  Considering that my car is less than four years old and has less than 60,000 miles on it, Lou told them their position was ridiculous.  He had to fight it out with them for more than a week or so.  Eventually he prevailed upon them that he was right, they were wrong and (of significance to the Missus and me) they would pay for the parts he recommended and not the bullshit they tried to pass off on me.  

I am very excited at the prospect of actually driving to work tomorrow behind the wheel of my own car.  Not as excited as Margaret is, I wager, seeing as how she has ceded to me the use of her chariot since we returned home from vacation.  She has been driving Joe's car in the interim.  Familiarity breeds affection much sooner than it breeds contempt.  She misses her car as much as I miss mine.  

'Tis a fine, fine day for a reunion. 

-AK

No comments: