Monday, February 3, 2014

Trip Around the Sun

Hear 'em singing Happy Birthday
Better think about the wish I made
This year gone by ain't been a piece of cake
Every day's a revolution
Pull it together and it comes undone
Just one more candle and a trip around the sun

 
Chorus:
I'm just hanging on while this old world keeps spinning
And it's good to know it's out of my control
If there's one thing that I've learned from all this living
Is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go

No, you never see it coming
Always wind up wondering where it went
Only time will tell if it was time well spent
It's another revelation
Celebrating what I should have done
With these souvenirs of my trip around the sun

 
Chorus:
I'm just hanging on while this old world keeps spinning
And it's good to know it's out of my control
If there's one thing that I've learned from all this living
Is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go

Yes, I'll make a resolution
That I'll never make another one
Just enjoy this ride on my trip around the sun
Just enjoy this ride ...
Until it's done
-Trip Around the Sun
Jimmy Buffett

Had the decision been mine to make, I would not have been a February baby.  Too fucking cold.  That being said, I have always been thrilled beyond words that the most stubborn Irish woman who has ever trod this big blue marble politely suggested to her doctor that he attempt to perform an act solo for which one normally has a partner when he informed her that my E.A.T. ("Earth Arrival Time") was going to occur on the 2nd of this month as opposed to the 3rd.  I certainly am happy that my birthday and Groundhog Day are not the same day.  Truth be told, with a cranium the size of mine had Phil and I shared Groundhog Day he never would see the sun, his shadow or any other goddamned thing. 

I am mindful of the fact that as I complete my forty-seventh trip around the Sun, the trip so far has been far better than I had any right to expect.  I sure worked hard a lifetime ago to do everything in my power to curtail both the quality of the journey and its duration.  It is not an exaggeration - not even a teensy bit - when I say that Margaret saved my life.  Still does.  Every day. 

I plan on spending my morning eviscerating a plaintiff who has thus far in this litigation demonstrated a willingness to lie that has bordered on the obscene.  He does not know that I know what he has been doing.  By about lunch time or so, I reckon it shall have become quite apparent.  Happy Birthday to Me indeed.  "Ah, look a blood-letting.  And just my size too!" 

At or about day's end I will call the Rock of Girbraltar otherwise known as Mom and remind her that she is the one who should be receiving well-wishes today.  It was her - and not me - who determined when I got here - and if I would get here at all.  I should have sent her a card. 

Alas, being a shitty son, I forgot.  Just as I always do.  Sorry Mom. 

Next year. 

I promise....    


-AK  


No comments: