Friday, February 14, 2014

Blood and Chocolate

It is not a Lack of Love,
But a Lack of Friendship
That Makes Unhappy Marriages.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Today is Valentine's Day.  An orgasmic exercise in guilt-laden promotion brought to you by the soulless pricks who run the greeting card, candy, flower and jewelry industry....and do not think for a moment I have forgotten about you - you tree-hugging, leftist-leaning charlatans peddling Vermont Teddy Bears.  Newsflash Slick:  If I purchased your four-foot tall stuffed bear for my wife, I would run a reasonable risk of purchasing her the present that would ultimately kill her.  The goddamned thing is bigger than she is after all.

All kidding aside, if your present day-to-day is spent in the company of the one whom you love more than any other and who loves you in such a manner right back, then may the two of you have a wonderful day.  And not just today either.  Make tomorrow worth sharing as well.  And the day after tomorrow too.  Historically speaking, it is as well-accepted for you to tell the love of your life that you love her or him on the 15th of February as it is on the 14th - contrary to what you might have been led to believe by the good folks from Hallmark or FTD.  

I am truly blessed in that I get to spend this day and every day in the company of a singularly extraordinary woman.  For close to two and one-half decades, she has completely confounded me.  While I understand the source of the attraction from me to her, exactly what it is she sees looking my direction remains now what it has always been, which is a mystery.  It is not an exaggeration to say that for all of the things in my life for which I am fortunate, the one for which I am most fortunate of all is the fact that I am married to the woman who is my best friend.  

As I hope you are.  And while it likely could go without saying, it shall not:  I really, really hope that Margaret is too.  


-AK  

   

No comments: