Monday, January 6, 2014

The View From Here....

You know, from my point of view, I'm the luckiest cat on the planet.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/hughhefner457542.html#0ubRpVy5DZiVBpVl.99
You know, from my point of view,
I'm the luckiest cat on the planet.
-Hugh Hefner

For all of the days that something has filled this space and for all the words that have occupied all of those days, I believe I am correct when I say that today marks the first time that I have invoked the name of Hef here.  Given the fact that I am married to someone age-appropriate, have never smoked a pipe (containing tobacco anyway) and have not worn a bathrobe since I was seven or eight, there is a reasonable likelihood that I shall not ever have occasion to invoke his name again. 

Yet today no one better encapsulates how I feel than Hef himself.  It was four months ago today that I bore witness to one of the greatest events with which I have ever had any involvement.  It was on this very day four months ago that my daughter Suzanne and son-in-law Ryan were married. 


Good man my son-in-law.  And that is indeed a very good thing.  Suzanne deserves nothing less. 

And it is now but five months from this very date when Rob - who I affectionately refer to as "The Boy Child" (mainly when I know he is two time zones away and I have a headstart on fleeing the jurisdiction) - and Jess shall be married.  A daughter-in-law.  All that the Missus and I need to complete the set!  


I smile thinking back to the very first time that I met Jess and I smile even more broadly thinking back to the first time that Margaret met her, which meeting took place at the very same spot where the rehearsal dinner shall take place the night prior to the wedding.   Coincidence?  Hmmm....

My broadest smiles these days are reserved for thinking about our very own "Fab Four".  Nothing brings a smile to this crotchety old misanthrope's face faster than the smiles on theirs.  Is it cold?  It is.  Is work a grind?  Absolutely.  Neither matters worth a goddamn at all.  From where I am at, the view is simply splendid....

....and getting better all the time.   



-AK   

No comments: