Saturday, January 4, 2014

And Away We Go....

The Missus and I welcomed 2014 in rather wonderful fashion.  We were down in 'Squan at Lynne's in the company of a small group of terrific folks - including Lynne, Gidg, Jeff, Chris and Carolyn.  Gidg and I participated New Year's Eve in the Jersey Shore Running Club's Twilight Run, which this year took place in Sea Girt, New Jersey at the National Guard Training Center.  It was cold - of course - and it was also an incredibly dark and (in patches) dangerously icy course.  And it was also one hell of a good time.  The layout of the course resulted in a race that was slightly less than three miles - 2.91 according to my trusty Garmin, which informed me that I completed it in 22:41.  My official finish line photo has me checking my watch a step or two past the finish line with 22:47 illuminated on the finish line clock.  Either way, I shall take it.  Not a bad way to wrap 2013.

2013 Twilight Run (2.91 miles) 
Sea Girt, NJ - 12/31/13 

While one day may or may not be a harbinger of the year ahead, I was pleased by the way in which 2014 happened.  I called it a night shortly after the ball dropped in Times Square.  Margaret and the rest of the crew had sufficient energy and enthusiasm to keep on partying like it was still 2013 into the wee small hours of the morning.  I made up for my largesse on New Year's morning.  While the rest of the gang was "recovering" I went for my first run of 2014. 

The streets of 'Squan were essentially deserted at 8:00 o'clock on 2014's first morning.  The air was cold and crisp.  The skies were clear.  The run was extraordinary.  It is far from an everyday occurrence for me to be able to run along the Atlantic Ocean.  Wednesday was just such a day.  I ran north along the boardwalk from the Inlet just as the sun was making its 2014 debut.  While evidence of Sandy's visit remains visible throughout 'Squan - including but not limited to the homes located right along the beach, the town looked simply beautiful. 

By the time I made it back to Lynne's house, I had clocked my first five mile run of 2014.  It felt great.  2014 got off to a very nice start.  Here's to doing what I need to do to ensure its continuing success.

-AK


No comments: