Sunday, September 15, 2013

Seeds

How many times can you get up after you've been hit?
Well I swear if I could spare the spit
I'd lay one on your shiny chrome
And send you on your way back home....
-Bruce Springsteen
"Seeds" is a song that appeared on Bruce Springsteen's 5-Album Box Set "Live:  1975-1985".  Truth be told, it had little to nothing to do with the effects of Mother Nature on her human subjects and everything to do with the often inhumane things that humans of the species do to one another. 
Nevertheless when I saw the incredible video and photos of the damage that Mother Nature inflicted on the Jersey Shore again this week, I thought of the sentiment underlying Springsteen's lyric.  Especially with regard to my neighbors in the Ocean County towns of Seaside Heights and Seaside Park.  How much can one group of people take?  And will it be easier for them - or harder - if it turns out that Mother Nature had at least one human helping hand.  As of Saturday night, the investigation into the cause of the inferno was incomplete




Less than one year after they were left on the asses by Wind and Rain, the Earth decided to unleash Fire upon them.   Jerseyans are a hardy lot to be sure.  But no one's tolerance level is limitless.  No matter how much we might want to think otherwise.  I certainly hope that they continue to keep on keeping on.  Truth be told, I have no idea whether I could. 




-AK 


No comments: