Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Point Of Intersection Between Biology And Ideology

We share the same biology,
Regardless of ideology.
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too....
-Sting

Blissfully quiet in the office this morning.  In my experience, there are few places as serene as a law firm early on a Saturday morning....especially the Saturday of Summer's last long weekend.   I am no one's hero - most pointedly not my own.  I shall not be spending the entire day here.  However there is work that must be completed and the person best suited to do that, sadly, bears an eerie resemblance to the fellow who returned my gaze in the bathroom mirror this morning.  Ugly, pathetic-looking fuck to boot.  Poor bastard.  

These past several days, when I had hoped to devote my non-work attention almost entirely to being whatever assistance Suzanne and Margaret may want or need in the last pre-wedding week on the calendar.  Notice that I did not say "entirely" but rather "almost entirely".  I am running in the Jimmy D 5K tomorrow morning in New Brunswick and watching the Buffs play CSU tomorrow night.  Hence the qualifier.  

However world events have laid waste to the best-laid plans of this mouse-like man.  The President has spent a lot of time these past several days appearing to try to lay out a case for going to war in Syria to punish the mouth-breeding bastard who runs that country and his coterie of inbred asshats for using chemical weapons on their own population.  The greatest potential downside to our once again taking on the role of "Global Super Cop" is that Syria has some fairly powerful friends, whether it deserves them or not.  Russia has made it known that it shall not stand by and allow "the West" to attack its Syrian ally.  Worse yet, the completely f*cking crazy pricks of misery who run the show in Iran have made it known that they shall read Israel into the conflict.  

Are we ready to power up Joshua and play a game of Global ThermoNuclear War to punish the government of Syria for what it did to its own citizenry?  I sure as hell hope the answer to that question is "No".   It is a question to which I wish I knew the answer.  

There is no historical precedent to put
Words in the mouth of the President.
There's no such thing as a winnable war
It's a lie we don't believe anymore.
-Sting     

-AK


No comments: