Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Long-Ago Sound Of Your Sister's Voice

I tend to do things to such a degree that a habit can - if I am not careful - grow to the depth of a rut.  It is as good an explanation as any I suppose as to why I opt to start my work day as early as I do.  Well, perhaps that is more simply explained:  insanity. 
 
One of the many things I have a tendency to do to an extreme is listen to music.  For the most part, I listen to music only when I am in the car.  I used to always wear my iPod when I ran but I have weaned myself off of that for the most part.  I am far more likely than not now to run without music.  So, these days my music consumption is limited to my drive time.   Given the amount of driving I do, there are weeks in which I still spend several hours listening to music.  
 
The habitual portion of my music consumption comes therefore not from the amount of music I listen to but where I do it.  While I have A LOT of music available to listen to - not anywhere near the level of my brother Bill but a level acceptable to mere mortals - I tend to not have most of that music available to me when I am in the car.  As a result, I tend to listen to the same CDs over and over....and over.
 
A couple of weeks ago someone at work asked me if I had "Born in the USA" on CD so that he could "load" it on his computer.  Since I do not know whether one downloads or uploads such a thing I am going to simply call it "loading" and leave it there.   It took me a couple of days to locate it in one of our "moved but not yet unpacked" stacks in the basement but find it I did.  And once he put it on his computer he gave it back to me so I threw it in the car.  And then I did something that I had not done in years:  I put it in my CD player and I listened to it.
 
Born in the USA is not my favorite Springsteen record but having not listened to it in a number of years I was surprised by how much I like it.  And I was pleased that it did what music does for me - it took me to another place and time.  For twelve tracks worth of music, I recalled where I was and how I felt when I first listened to the album almost thirty years ago.  And it permitted me to recall Clarence Clemons and Danny Federici as they sounded then.  When they were young.  Before either succumbed to the ravages of time and mortality.
 
I know not how long BITUSA shall remain in my car.  I reckon it will be a while.  Old habits die hard after all.
 
 
-AK
 


No comments: