Friday, August 9, 2013

Takeoffs and Landings

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the Life that you've imagined.
-Henry David Thoreau

We lost a terrific young lawyer at the Firm yesterday.  I mean not to imply that we put her down someplace and now cannot recall where she is.  I mean simply that she is doing what young people sometimes do:  she is picking up and pursuing life's next great adventure in an entirely new postal code.  She is good at what she does and far more important than any of that she is good.  Period.  A good human being.  Engaged to be married to another good human being.  This time next week they will be getting acclimated to life in Nashville, Tennessee.  To a person at the Firm, we were sorry to see her go.  To a person at the Firm, we are happy for her.  

Ah, the courage of the young.  I envy it.  I admire it.  At this stage in my life, I struggle to recall what it felt like to exhibit it - or whether I did.  It matters not.  What is done is done.  What was not done....well you get the idea. 

Today I am afforded the opportunity to perform my favorite role:  Airport Pick-Up Guy.  The Texas Tornado is flying home to New Jersey tonight.  The stay shall be too short to even qualify as abbreviated but for a night anyway she shall be back under the parental roof.  By this time next month she will be married. 

Hmmm.  I may not recall a lot of my younger days but I shall be reminded again looking at Suz coming up the jetway this evening that I have living proof of it having been time well-spent. 

I am a Dad.  I need nothing more. 

-AK  


No comments: