Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Summer of Bruce - Ten Years After

Searchin' through the dust, lookin' for a sign
If there's a light up ahead well brother I don't know
But I got this fever burnin' in my soul
So let's take the good times as they go
And I'll meet you further on up the road

-Bruce Springsteen

I use this space often - perhaps too often for your taste - to lament my relationship with time.  My inability to harness it.  My inability to control it.  My seemingly ceaseless struggle to make better use of it.  Perhaps I could get a better handle on that last one if I spent less time doing this and devoted more time to other, arguably more important pursuits.  Hmmm....

But I digress.

Ten years ago this summer was a summer that those of us in our little traveling cadre of Springsteen fans christened "The Summer of Bruce".  In 2003, on the U.S. Stadium leg of the tour in support of The Rising Mr. Springsteen and his Merry Men played a total of ten dates at Giants Stadium - including seven in July.  The seventh and final show was on this very date:  July 27.  Ten years ago, the 27th of July fell on a Sunday.  Our crew spent that day as we had spent the day before - tailgating for hours in the parking lots at Giants Stadium.  We simply enjoyed each other's company before passing through the gates to enjoy a couple or three hours of Springsteen.  It was a wonderful end to what was one hellaciously fine weekend. 

In a decade's worth of time, much has changed.  The E Street Band's composition has been significantly altered by the dual passings of The Phantom (Danny Federici) and The Big Man (Clarence Clemons).  Giants Stadium has been razed in favor of a horrible, entirely unnecessary behemoth of a facility across its former parking lots.  

Today however a sizable portion of those of us who spent the Summer of Bruce together shall again be in the same place.  The occasion?  A party in honor of and at the urging of the utterly irrepressible Mrs. Kizis - whose daughters affectionately call "Hazel" - who is fighting the good fight against a wholly undeserved piece of bad luck.  Given that the location of this get-together is Lynne's place and she is among the small number of people I know whose class list at the College of Springsteen Musical Knowledge is more advanced than my own I reasonably anticipate that some "Bruce Juice" shall be on the menu today as it was on this very day ten years ago. 

And I would wager that it shall go down just as smoothly now as it did then....

-AK


No comments: