Sunday, June 2, 2013

Where the Shadows Fall Forever....

On several occasions over the course of the past few weeks I have mentioned in this space that (a) the Missus and I have just moved; and (b) she and my father-in-law Joe were the masterminds of this move whereas I was merely a participant - and not always a happy one at that.  Earlier this past week I was reminded yet again of what a horse's ass I am - and sadly not merely with regard to this particular subject.

It was four years ago today that one of the bravest women I have ever had the privilege and pleasure of knowing - Sue Bozzomo ("Suzy B") - lost the fight that consumed most of the final five-plus years of her life.  Small in stature but imbued with boundless amounts of pluck and courage, my mother-in-law battled cancer with everything she had.  The fight was excruciating.  The effort was valiant.  The result, tragically, was predictable. 

I exaggerate not one bit when I say that in the moment in which she died, everything changed for Margaret, for Joe, for Frank and for the entire family.  Her death was a body blow.  Lesser people would have been knocked not only down but out.  Margaret and the Bozzomos shall never be mistaken for lesser people.  Nature abhors a vacuum.  One could not be permitted to exist in Margaret's family.  My wife has worked tirelessly these past four years to ensure that one has not.  Her work is far from finished.  I reckon that as long as there are the rest of us - with our need for her help - it shall never be finished. 

Thursday night for the first time in I know not how long (it is an event that occurs so infrequently I cannot remember when it had last occurred) I ate dinner on a work night with my wife.  In doing so, I partook in something that has been an occurrence that happens with metronomic precision for Margaret and her dad.  She and Joe eat dinner together five nights a week.  

What we ate was not important.  Where we ate it was far more so.  The three of us sat at the table in the kitchen of our new/old house - the place that Joe has called home for more than a half-century, the place where Margaret was raised and where Rob/Suz spent a portion of their childhood and the place that my wife and I now call "Home".  And as I looked across the table at first my wife and thereafter my father-in-law, I thought not only of them but of my mother-in-law.  I envisioned her looking down at the table and smiling.  The fabric of her family is strong....

....the blouse remains buttoned. 


Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for awhile
If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less
Keep me in your heart for awhile



When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun
Keep me in your heart for awhile
There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done
Keep me in your heart for awhile



Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Keep me in your heart for awhile
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Keep me in your heart for awhile
Sometimes when you're doing simple things
around the house
Maybe you'll think of me and smile
You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on
your blouse
Keep me in your heart for awhile


Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams
Touch me as I fall into view
When the winter comes keep the fires lit
And I will be right next to you



Engine driver's headed north to Pleasant Stream
Keep me in your heart for awhile
These wheels keep turning but they're running out
of steam
Keep me in your heart for awhile



Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Keep me in your heart for awhile
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Keep me in your heart for awhile
Keep me in your heart for awhile....




-AK

No comments: