Monday, May 6, 2013

The Past Forty-Eight

Among the many things about which I know nothing is horse racing.  That being said, to my untrained eye the Kentucky Derby was one hell of an exciting horse race on Saturday afternoon.   While the horse I was pulling for to win, Normandy Invasion, did not, the horse that did win did so in an incredibly exciting, entertaining fashion.   At one point Orb was far closer to the rear of the field than the front but when the horses headed for home Orb appeared to find a gear that none of the other eighteen horses in the field had.  Perhaps he knew just how important him finishing first was to the grand old man of horse racing who trains him, Shug McGaughey.  They do not call it "horse sense" for nothing.
 
Yesterday marked my first ever effort in the Long Branch Half Marathon - having opted not to run the New Jersey Marathon.  A huge shout-out to my running pal Gidg who completed the Marathon for the third straight year.  Outstanding effort.  As per usual. 
 
I found the Half to be a far more enjoyable experience for a number of reasons - not the least of which is the abjectly boring course over which the Marathon is run pales in comparison to the course on which the Half is contested.  The Half started at 6:50 in the morning.  I completed it in less than two hours, which meant that by 9:00 AM I had completely a 13.1 mile run.  Not a bad day's worth of exercise.  Not bad at all.  And I was home in sufficient time to prepare dinner.  Considering that yesterday was the final time I was going to do my favorite thing:  grilling in my backyard I was more than a little pleased that I was home, out of the shower and in dinner prep mode before 12:00 PM. 
 
The Half course was laid out in such a way that for the final almost two miles of the race I ran north with the Atlantic Ocean and the beaches of Long Branch off of my right shoulder.  It was as nice a view as one can have while running.  Simply beautiful.  I hope the other people in the Half enjoyed it close to as much as I did.  If they did not then I respectfully suggest they pursue an alternative form of exercise. 
 
-AK 

No comments: