Friday, April 5, 2013

The Flight of Time

Yours truly has one hell of an action-packed day ahead.  At some point this morning I am scheduled to appear in court and argue in support of my clients' position that a particularly contentious piece of litigation in which they are defendants should be disposed of by way of summary judgment.  Summary judgment is a mechanism by which a party argues to a judge that there is no basis for allowing an adversary's claims to proceed to trial, which is precisely where we are headed in this particular piece of litigation if my best efforts today prove to be less than good enough.  

From there I shall spend the remainder of the day in the company of two lawyers of whom I am quite fond and one litigant (the plaintiff) of whom I far less so while conducting the latter's deposition.  If my day goes according to Hoyle - who the hell is Hoyle anyway - I will see my office at some point after five p.m. and my home at an as yet to be determined time thereafter.  

While the latter two numbers on today's dance card are ones that promise to be more labor than love, I shall kick off today's programming at an even earlier than usual time by doing something that is far more love than labor.  Suzanne is flying home this morning.  Her cousin Nicole is getting married at the end of June.  Suzanne is one of Nikki's bridesmaids.  Nikki's wedding shower is this weekend.  I reasonably anticipate that I shall see scant little of Suzanne while she is within the State of Concrete Gardens' geographical confines.  However I will see her this morning. Bright and early in fact.  Her flight from Houston is expected to land in Newark at or about 1:30 a.m.  As if 3:00 a.m. is not an early enough start to my day, this morning I hope to be pulling into our driveway with the Houston Hurricane at about that time.  

The Captain Midnight impersonation notwithstanding, I am very much looking forward to seeing Suzanne.  We last saw her when she and Ryan were home at Christmas time.  Going four months without seeing one of your adult children does not seem like a big deal....until you do it for the first time.  I had a lot of fun at Suz's expense prior to her move to Texas in late November, 2011.  I used to tease her that she was never going to move out and that she would be living in her big bedroom at the top of the stairs for the rest of my life.  It was a lot funnier when she was here.  It is not nearly as funny these days.   She is gone.  Soon the big bedroom at the top of the stairs shall be as well.  

President John F. Kennedy once said, "Change is the Law of Life.  And those who look only to the Past or Present are certain to miss the Future."   And who wants to make that mistake?  Not me....

....especially this morning.  The immediate future looks very bright indeed.  And the long-term future even better than that.   Is it any wonder that I never go anywhere without my Wayfarers?   

-AK

No comments: