Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Renaissance Man

I was worn out enough by my Sunday in Central Park - just imagine how tired I would have been had I actually completed the marathon - that I called it an evening prior to ABC's telecast of the Academy Awards from Los Angeles.   As someone who goes to the movies only rarely and who saw exactly ZERO of the films nominated for Best Picture (or any of the other major awards for that matter) I did not feel that not watching the show was the same as "missing" it.   To me it was a case of a distinction making all the difference. 

While I have not seen any of the nominated films, I was not displeased to see that Ben Affleck's movie "Argo" won the Academy Award for Best Picture.  Not too many years ago, Affleck was a Hollywood punch line, talked about more for the women he romanced off-screen than anything he did on-screen.   He is a young man whose best years were thought - foolishly as it turns out - to be far behind him.  His film won the Best Picture Oscar although he himself did not get nominated in the Best Director category.  I read somewhere yesterday that such a thing had happened only one other time in the past eighty years.  

Better than his victory was the grace with which he accepted it.  He had a chance Sunday night to air his own list of grievances towards one and all who had laughed at him, mocked him or otherwise derided him.  He did none of the above. "You have to work harder than you think you possibly can," said Affleck, "and you  can't hold grudges."  He added, "It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that is going to happen.  All that matters is you gotta get up."    

Well said.  And a triumph well-earned. 

-AK 

No comments: