Saturday, February 2, 2013

Phil Connors is God....

Today is Groundhog Day.  It is the day on which a hole-dwelling varmint and the two-legged ass hats who occupy the space above ground from his hole seduce the world-at-large into descending upon a little patch of land known as Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania for the purpose of finding out whether the aforementioned hole-dwelling varmint, known by the delightfully alliterative sobriquet "Punxsutawney Phil", shall lay his eyes upon his own shadow when he emerges from his hole.   And for those of us who cannot make it to Punxsutawney to see whether Phil engages in an early February shadow dance or not, fear not about missing the big moment.  It will be streamed live here.  

Groundhog Day does have a purpose.  In fact, it has three.  First, to provide those of us who view the world through somewhat jaundiced and cynical eyes with an endless supply of fodder.  Seriously, as a cynic one can scarcely hope for a better target of derision than Groundhog Day and the "town fathers" all dressed up in their formal wear toting around a beast whose head they would blow off with their .12 gauge if it emerged from a hole in the middle of their vegetable patch on May 2nd.  Second, to make me love my mother more than I even otherwise would be capable of doing.  You see, the original action plan as I understand was for me - Mom's sixth and final child - to be dropped from my warm carrying case and into the cold, hard world on February 2.  As Mom tells the tale, her response to the doctor's proposed delivery date was, "Like Hell.  No child of mine is being born on Groundhog Day."  Just to spite the doctor, not only was I know born on the second, but I did not actually make the scene until the evening of the next day.  I learned - even before I arrived - that one should know better than to screw with Joanie K.  

And with all due deference to my mother, who I love with all my heart, the single-most important purpose that this silly day has in our culture is that its existence served as the inspiration and namesake for one of my all-time favorite films.   Harold Ramis and Bill Murray did many terrific things together but it is this film - more than any other - that makes me want to plead with them to kiss and make up.  

You spend your Groundhog Day however you deem appropriate.  Me?  I plan on spending scant little time with Punxsutawney Phil.  Phil Connors?  Well, that is an entirely different story.

Who is in the mood for blueberry waffles?  They are today's Special.....


-AK 

No comments: