Monday, January 7, 2013

Just Another Manic Monday

Random thought for the day:  when Bob Geldof penned "I Don't Like Mondays" thirty-plus years ago was it possible that the Monday of which he wrote was this one?  It is after all the day that kicks off the first full work week for many folks since the week that began with Monday, December 17.  I dislike it already - and I just woke up.  On the other hand, by the time we reach the end of it - in what will feel like eleven or twelve days from now, we will be on the cusp of the middle of January.  One half of a winter month behind us.  Not a damn thing upsetting about that.
 
Tonight the college football season ends.  #1 Notre Dame plays #2 Alabama in the BCS National Championship Game.  It is a game in which I have zero rooting interest.  While I may be the son of a Subway Alumni (I still recall my surprise at learning that Dad went to college at Fordham University and NOT at Notre Dame) I am not a Fighting Irish fan.  I am not, however, a Nick Saban fan either.  I have nothing at all against Alabama (and if you have not seen it check out the HBO documentary from several years ago about the integration of the SEC and Bear Bryant's efforts to integrate his Crimson Tide in the late 1960's/early 1970's) but 'Bama's coach is an unrepentant monetary mercenary.  He has spent his entire coaching career chasing the dime as it were.   Not only do I not care who wins, I anticipate watching very little of the game.  Especially if CBS counter-programs against it with back-to-back episodes of The Big Bang Theory.
 
If you are - as I am - a college football fan and have neither the time nor the interest to dedicate three-plus hours of your Monday night to watching tonight's game, then do yourself the great service of reading this in order to get your college pigskin fix.   It will take significantly less time and is a fascinating read. 
 
After all, time is at a premium this week.  
 
 
 
-AK
 
 

No comments: