Friday, January 18, 2013

Flying Pigs and Dropping Pucks

I am very happy that tomorrow night the New York Rangers shall finally commence this year's edition of the NHL regular season.  I am ecstatic because I am a life-long Rangers fan and have missed them terribly.  Also, I am ecstatic because I am a life-long New York Giants fan (note to those following at home:  I do not write New York "football" Giants because the "baseball" Giants began playing in San Francisco ten years before I was born.  I find it unfathomable that anyone, anywhere mistakes one for the other five and one-half decades later.)  I have as much interest in the two NFL Conference Championship games to be played on Sunday as I do in the outcome of next week's election of officers at the Marlboro, New Jersey Moose Lodge.  

But for the return of the Rangers, I would have nothing to do from a sports-viewing perspective save for watching previews on YES of the 2013 Yankees.  Before you ask, I cannot watch most of my beloved Buffs' games on the PAC-12 Network because Direct TV does not carry that channel.  February and most of March (up until Selection Sunday) were shaping up as being really, really long months - irrespective of whether that rodent in Pennsylvania glimpsed his shadow or not.  

Regardless of how the Rangers season turns out, I shall be happy to bear witness to it.  Sure I hope that it ends with them hoisting the Stanley Cup but being a Rangers fan requires one to view them in action with one eye on the game and the other on the sky - awaiting the arrival of the ever-descending other shoe.   My brother Kelly and I root for Cup-winning seasons with a fervor equal to that with which our oldest brother Bill roots for birthday-oriented pony rides.  The fact that the former arrive with a frequency comparable to the latter does little to squelch the enthusiasm of any of the three of us.  

Will 2013 be the year that the Rangers win the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1994 and just the second time since 1940?  Who the hell knows.  But at least we are going to have a chance to learn the answer to that question, which as recently as three weeks ago appeared quite unlikely.  

Old time hockey.  Not a thing in the world like it.  Nothing at all....


-AK 

No comments: