Saturday, November 24, 2012

Wheels Up Again

Today is yet another travel day for the Missus and me.  We jet our way eastward (with Joe of course) having completed a wonderful, memorable week with Rob and Jess in their beautiful new home in the Front Range of Colorado.  I know that it breaks my wife's heart more than just a little to say goodbye to these two at airports, knowing that unlike the Houston branch of the family tree, for them there is no return to the State of Concrete Gardens on the horizon. 

I understand and appreciate the depth and breadth of my wife's dilemma:  as a mother she is thrilled for Rob in the happiness he has found in Jess and in their life together but she is saddened by the fact that the life is being lived two time zones and close to 2,000 miles away. 

For me it is different I suppose.  Colorado has held an incredible hold on my heart from the first time I laid eyes on the place - close to thirty years ago when I was a senior in high school coming to visit Jill and Joe in Boulder.  Having Rob and Jess (and Tillie - I do not want to diss my girl Tillie) here only deepens the affection and appreciation I have for the place. 

Until Rob moved here, my only reason for coming back to Colorado was to visit my Alma mater.  Now I have a far, far better reason than for which I ever could have hoped. 

....and oh how I love those frequent flier miles.

-AK

No comments: