Sunday, October 14, 2012

And Old Champ's Still on the Guitar

You say you're not from Texas
Man as if I couldn't tell
You think you pull your boots on right
And wear your hat so well

So pardon me my laughter
'Cause I sure do understand
Even Moses got excited

Today kicks off an abbreviated work week, which is and of itself cause for celebration I reckon, which doubles as a week in which the Missus and I shall spend a bit of time with the soon-to-be newlyweds.  Yee Haw!  Texas here we come.  But for "Friday Night Lights" and Lyle Lovett one would be hard-pressed to explain to me why the United States should not have - in hindsight - sided with Mexico in the Texas War for Independence.  It shall be great to spend a few days with Suzanne and Ryan.  So much so that ignoring the fact that everyone else around us and them will likely be a Texan shall not be a difficult obstacle to surmount.

This morning if you are in the general vicinity of Livingston, New Jersey head over to the high school.  At 9:30 a.m. my law partner (and fellow member of Sue's Crew IV) Arnold Gerst and some of his friends and neighbors shall be putting on the 3rd Annual Livingston 5K.  I am biased I suppose due to the fact that Mr. Gerst is one of those who practices law for a living who gives the practice a good name but this is one of my favorite events on my running calendar.  It is not a particularly big event - probably somewhere in the neighborhood between 150-250 runners will participate but it is very well-organized.  Margaret and I shall be there this morning by 8:00 a.m. because the Missus is part of Arnie's Crew.  This will mark her third consecutive year as part of Mr. Gerst's all-volunteer army. 

The weather forecast for today here in the State of Concrete Gardens is "Spectacular".  Even if you are not a runner, there is still much for you to do and see at Arnie's event.  There is a health and wellness expo and - for those among us with rugrat-sized kids at home - there are a number of children's events and races too.  In another month in these parts it will likely be cold enough even in the midday sun to make one want to limit his/her time spent out of doors.  Do not squander the opportunity that today has presented you. 

-AK

No comments: