Monday, September 17, 2012

One More Thought

A bit of a programming note here.  I intended to use this space today to lament the demise of the once-proud University of Colorado Football program.  Or perhaps to talk just a little bit about politics and the upcoming Presidential election.  If you read beyond this point you will find out that I did not use it for either of the above.
 
I am fortunate enough to not only be married to a woman who is far more than I actually deserve but to have married her at a time in her life when she was the mother of two little squirts who were at the time not more than five and six years old.  A great joy of my life has been watching those two children grow to adulthood.  I am biased - of course - but it is my firmly held opinion that they both are exceptional human beings. 
 
I shall have no more children.  And as luck would have it, only one of the two is a daughter.  So I shall never again have the opportunity to celebrate the glorious news that Suzanne shared with the Missus and me when she called home from Texas on Friday night.  I have spent the past couple of days walking around with a smile on my face.  If this keeps up people might start suspecting that I am suffering from some sort of mental illness.  Hmmm.....
 
Margaret's favorite singer is Martina McBride.  If you are not a fan of Ms. McBride's, the only explanation I can offer in your defense is that you have never heard her sing.  Her voice is simply stunning.  One of her signature songs is one of my wife's favorites.  I have thought of it often over the past couple of days - not only because of Suz/Ryan's engagement but also because of the date on which it came:  what would have been Suzy B.'s 80th birthday.  I am such an igorant ass that the date had escaped me altogether.  Ditto for the milestone nature of this year's birthday.  Ryan's timing was impeccable.  
 
In my daughter's eyes,
I am a hero,
I am strong and wise,
And I know no fear,
But the truth is plain to see,
She was sent to rescue me,
I see who I want to be,
In my daughter's eyes.
 
 
 
In my daughter's eyes,
Everyone is equal,
Darkness turns to light,
And the world is at peace,
This miracle god gave to me,
Gives me strength when I am weak,
I find reason to believe,
In my daughter's eyes.
 
 
 
And when she wraps her hand around my finger,
How it puts a smile in my heart,
Everything becomes a little clearer,
I realize what life is all about,
It's hanging on when your heart is had enough,
It's giving more when you feel like giving up,
I've seen the light,
It's in my daughter's eyes

 


In my daughter's eyes,
I can see the future,
A reflection of who I am and what will be,
And though she'll grow and someday leave,
Maybe raise a family,
When i'm gone I hope you see,
How happy she made me,
For i'll be there,
In my daughter's eyes


-AK


 

No comments: