Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Fine Art of Breathing

The great thing about people being individual units and not simply machine cogs is that each of us has things we like and those that we do not like.  In the case of some of us (no names to be used here), the list of "don't likes" might seem to be ten times longer than the average person.  Still, unless one's name is Ebeneezer Scrooge presumably there is at least one "something" or one "someone" that one likes.  Hell, even old 'Neezer loved one "something"....money. 

I love music although I do not proclaim to enjoy all types of it equally.  It boggles my mind when I meet someone who tells me that he or she does not listen to music and does not enjoy it.  The late, great writer Andy Rooney was such a person apparently.  I heard him proclaim in countless appearances with Don Imus on the latter's radio show that he simply did not enjoy music and rarely - if ever -listened to it.  He never really bothered to give Imus a reason other than to tell him, "Just because", which was a "reason" I thought from my childhood that my father owned lock, stock and barrel.  Apparently all Irishmen of a certain generation owned it equally.  Who knew?

My weekend's schedule was thrown off a bit this past weekend.  My participation in the Belmar Five Mile Race on Saturday - and my participation at the post-race celebration at Bar A - meant that I did not make my weekly trek to the A&P on Saturday.  Rather, I trekked up the mountain to the store on Sunday morning.  In the car I was able to catch a bit of Jim Monaghan's weekly program "All Mixed Up", which features a delightfully eclectic cross-section of music that one does not typically encounter on WDHA's airwaves the rest of the week....including during Jim's weekday morning drive program "The Jolt", which he co-hosts with Kim Mulligan. 

During this Sunday morning's set, among the gems that he played was Willie Nelson's cover of Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe".  Again, realizing that not simply is enjoyment of music but even more so the type of music from which one derives enjoyment is truly a subjective thing I found Nelson's version of this song to be stunning.  He is to me one of those artists - much like Johnny Cash was - who is able to convey great feeling and great emotion in his voice.  You do not simply hear the pain in his voice of the story he is telling in the song.  You feel the pain in his heart as well.

Anyway, just one man's opinion.  Agree or not as you see fit.  It makes little difference to me.  Actually, that is not true.  It makes absolutely no difference to me at all....

....for as the song says I am a lucky man - even if there are several instances every day when I doubt strongly whether I deserve to be.  Nothing you say or do not say shall change that even a little.

Did I say that I need you?
Did I say that I want you?
Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool, you see...
No one knows this more than me,
As I come clean.

-AK

No comments: