Monday, April 23, 2012

The Price of Peace

The New Jersey Marathon is now less than two weeks away. Thirteen days to be exact. "Who is counting?" you might ask. Well, the answer seems self-evident so on second thought perhaps you realized you did not need to ask it.

Yesterday morning was spent participating in the 3rd annual Unite For Charity Half-Marathon at Rutgers Unversity. Gidg and I have participated in each edition of this event and we were joined again yesterday by her brother-in-law Mike and Mike's friend Scott. All in all I would say it was a successful day for each of us. It served as a training run for Gidg and me - a sort of final pre-Marathon tune-up as it were for the two of us. The training schedule for next Sunday calls for only an eight-mile run. I never thought I would reach the point where in my vocabulary a scheduled eight-mile run would be preceded by the word "only".

Candidly, my marathon training has hit a bit of a snag the past couple of weeks. An issue that arose during a 20-mile training run a few Sundays ago took longer to resolve itself than I had hoped it would. When my usual course of treatment for orthopedic problems did not produce the desired result, I did something I hardly ever do: I stopped running. Between Sunday the 15th and yesterday I had run exactly once....for a grand total of three miles.

Running is important to me. It is important not just physically but mentally too. I glean a tremendous amount of inner peace from running. I run for much the same reason that I write: it soothes me. I was likely crabbier than usual this past week during my self-imposed hiatus but it had to be taken. Peace is important. Being able to walk from here....to here is equally so.

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”

No comments: