Monday, April 9, 2012

Kneeling to the Occasion

So much for the Yankees going undefeated this year. Damn. I had a feeling I should have never plunked down $100 - even at 10:1 odds - taking them with an over of 161. Live and learn I suppose. And for Wallace Matthews and all of the other guys on the Yankees beat who have already written at least "the sky is falling" column, all of us who follow baseball know how long the season is. Do all of us a favor and save the "Girardi is a Big Fat Idiot" rants for later in the season. Memorial Day at least.

As I was out running yesterday morning, I was listening to my iPod as I usually do. Yet as I ran past the local Catholic church here 'NTSG the tune that leapt into the forefront of my mind was one that is not loaded on my iPod. Yesterday being Easter Sunday it looked like they were having a two for one sale on sacramental wine and communion wafers. All of the Occasional Catholic were out in force, packing not only the parking lots for the church but also all of the available on-street parking on all of the streets in the church's neighborhood. While I have not been inside the church since Megan/Adam's wedding in late June 2009, I run past it every Sunday morning. The uptick in the number of cars was so significant as to almost be comical. I wish that for one Sunday at least I had had the foresight to carry a bottle of wine and a box of Nilla Wafers with me when I run. Boy, oh boy could I have made a killing yesterday.

Nothing makes me laugh harder than the Occasional Catholic - the church-going fraud who pops in at Christmas and again at Easter. I am not a religious man and I admit it. One's devotion to organized religion is nothing short of a mystery to me. I respect it. I do not understand it but I respect it. But the "twice a year" charlatans who put on their Sunday finery and head to church are so full of shit they make my hair hurt.

And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint


-AK

No comments: