Friday, April 27, 2012

A Dance with her Dad

This has been an extraordinarily long week at work. Between things to do and nonsense to wade through it has felt as if this week has been of the overstuffed variety. While work beckons tomorrow morning, today essentially ends the organized chaos portion of this week's festivities. Not a moment too soon.

In the world of work I have been luckier than most in terms of who has worked with me as my assistant/secretary. In the past fifteen years the roll call has featured only four names: Tracey, Gracie, Theresa and since mid-November 2010 Lucia. Today is Lucia's birthday. I told her that this year for her birthday I was giving her the gift of two consecutive days off....with those two days being tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. Do not feel badly about not laughing. Lucia did not find it humorous either. I am fairly confident that she will enjoy her "real" present quite a lot more. I did follow Margaret's advice in getting it after all.

She is an exceptionally good soul. She has had an extraordinarily tough year. Her father was hospitalized for what seemed to be almost all of January and February. He died in late February. This is therefore her first birthday without him. She is not a child to be sure. But she is - as all daughters are (at least I hope anyway) - forever daddy's little girl.

Here's to hoping that her day is a happy one. She most certainly deserves it....

If I could steal one final glance
One final step, One final dance with him
I'd play a song that would never ever end
'Cause I'd love, love, love to
Dance with my father again


-AK

1 comment:

Lucia Russo said...

Thanks so much for your kind words. You have helped me so much through these last two months of losing my father. It has not been easy at all but you make going to work bearable. You do keep me very busy which is good right now. Though it does get difficult at times to keep up. Keep the laughter coming. Hope I don't make you too nuts. Thanks for my gift which I do love. Your wife has great taste. Couldn't ask for a better boss!