Friday, April 6, 2012

And Then There Were Thirty....

Query: How does one put the "good" in Good Friday? Answer: New York Yankees 2012 season opener against the Rays - who apparently exorcised the Devil if not from their life than at least from their name - in Tampa. The 2012 season has been up and running for a couple of days now - more than a week actually when one considers MLB's Far Eastern adventure. However, I have thus far paid little attention to it. Tonight, it begins anew with the Yankees' #1 pitcher CC (contrary to some published reports his initials do not stand for "Cherubic" and "Christlike") Sabathia being given the Opening Day assignment. While I have no idea how their season shall end, I know how it shall begin: with them playing and me watching. Play ball gents. Play ball.

God and I have an understanding. I spend little to no time in his 'hood and ask only that he returns the favor. Judging by all that I have observed during the first forty-five years I have spent toiling on the Big Blue Marble, more often than not he has honored the arrangement. Me of little faith who has less than zero use for organized religion is not especially moved, personally, by the solemnity of today. That being said I recognize and appreciate the fact that there are many - including many who are considerably brighter than I am - who put great stock in such things and for whom today, whether Christian or Jew, is a day of considerable importance. If you are such a person then whether it is Easter or Passover that you shall both observe and celebrate, I hope it is a happy holiday for you and yours. And permit me a moment please to further demonstrate just why I plan on having Margaret toss quite a lot of sunscreen and my Ray-Bans in the urn with me when I die in anticipation of the rather warm locale where I shall spend eternity:



Today is the 6th of April. The 2012 New Jersey Marathon is thirty days away. T minus 30. In honor of passing this mile marker on the road to the Marathon (a/k/a "the Highway to Hell"), a thought worth sharing courtesy of a gent with whom you might be familiar....General George S. Patton:

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

Safe weekend to one and all. If you are neither Christian nor Jew and/or if golf is your religion, then enjoy the Masters. And to my favorite observant Afghan hound I say, "Happy Passover Travis Koplowitz!"....

....wherever you are.

-AK

No comments: