Friday, March 30, 2012

Where Does That Highway Go?

Remember when you were a child? You probably do not have the ability to count the number of times you heard someone say, "Time flies when you are having fun!" At some point between short pants and the grave you peeled the shiny covering back from that old saw to expose the ugly truth hidden beneath it. Time whooshes right past you whether or not you are having fun. And the older you get, the faster it moves. Smiles not included.

By the time midnight announces its arrival tomorrow a full quarter of 2012 will be in the books. If you are a person who makes New Year's Resolutions (I am not) then it might be a good time to inquire of yourself just how well it/they are holding up....presuming of course that at the quarter pole you have at least started it/them (whatever).

Time's passage is both a good and a bad thing I reckon. My wife embraces the notion of her birthday with enthusiasm unmatched by any woman I have ever known. Margaret will be fifty this October. When anyone asks her now how old she is she does not answer, "49", but rather, "almost 50."

While my mother has never displayed the same zeal as my bride on the subject, she seems fairly immune to the ravages of time as well. Any time I have ever chatted with her about getting older she has responded the same way. She simply says, "It beats the alternative."

I suppose that both Mom and Margaret have the right outlook and have taken the correct approach on the subject. Intellectually I know they are right. Nevertheless I simply cannot embrace the concept. Time shall continue to rush by at a pace that borders occasionally on the uncomfortable. And I shall continue to rage against it.

Same as it ever was.

-AK

No comments: