Monday, March 5, 2012

So Listen Up My Sonny Boy

In a nice change of pace, I actually was well-organized enough this weekend to hit the A&P on Saturday afternoon. While that might not sound like too big a deal, by handling that chore on Saturday I was able to get out and do my "long run" for my marathon training early Sunday morning. It was a nice enough morning on which to run that although 12 miles was what my training schedule called for I actually ran slightly more than 13.

Thanks to Margaret's super cool Christmas gift of my Garmin gadget, I have spent the past couple of months of Sundays running wherever the heck I feel like running. It has been liberating.

Yesterday it permitted me to spend a bit of time running through parts of our little time in which I tend not to spend too much time. I would love to report that I was jazzed by what I saw. I cannot. There was no shortage of "FOR SALE" signs on the front lawns of homes of varying styles and types. Worse yet was the veritable spate of "FOR RENT" signs and "VACANCY" signs in what were not too very long ago were functioning, vibrant active businesses. What I saw as I ran through town is a place that is dying.

Sadly here 'NTSG we live under a self-defeating form of government: the moronocracy. We have no shortage of self-important heroes affiliated on the local level with one of the two major parties who live to run in local elections. They really are sad iterations of the same model of actor. The one who mistakes electability for leadership. The one who mistakes holding office with governance. In a tiny town, we have a disportionately large amount of them.

And the worst thing of all is that ours is a little town inhabited by a lot of very fine people. Unfortunately we have turned the reins for running the joint over to two competing groups of folks more concerned about sitting in front of their computers - behind cleverly chosen user names - running down each other than they are about doing a single f***ing thing that they have in fact been elected to do.

I have lived here 'NTSG for close to two decades now. If the plan actually comes together, then the Missus and I shall be looking at it through the rear-view mirror in the not-too-distant future. It is not now - nor shall it ever be - my hometown. Yet is the place where my kids grew up. It is the place where Margaret's parents chose to settle and raise their family more than a half-century ago. Both Margaret and her big brother Frank have lived most of their respective lives here. Frank and his high school sweetheart Chrissy have raised their six kids here too.

A little town with an extended, noteworthy past and a decidedly uncertain future. If it fails, the toe tag will read, "Death by Ineptitude."

No cannonballs did fly
No rifles cut us down
No bombs fell from the sky
No blood soaked the ground
No powder flash blinded the eye
No deafening thunder sounded
But just as sure as the hand of god
They brought death to my hometown
They brought death to my hometown


-AK

No comments: