Monday, March 19, 2012

Miles Gone. Miles to Go.

My beloved Alma mater's run to the National Championship came to an unceremonious end Saturday night at "The Pit" in New Mexico. Considering that I had (a) not expected them to make the tournament; and (b) expected after they earned their way in by winning four games on four consecutive days in the Pac-12 tournament for their stay to last only one game, I was bummed out for a moment by the result of Saturday night's game. Only for a moment. Hell of a year for Coach Boyle and his Buffaloes. Well done gentlemen. Well done indeed.

Sunday is "long distance run" day in my marathon training regimen. Yesterday I went for a robust sixteen-mile run. While I was running I was thinking about Jess and Rob and the fact that they spent a portion of their St. Patrick's Day taking part in a 5K race in Fort Collins. It was the first such race in which Jess had participated. Judging by the post-race photos I saw (we refer to them in the trade as "Proof of Life" photos), I would say it was a success.

I was about 12.5 or 13 miles into my 16 mile run when I thought of the kids and their race. It occurred to me that having only started running slightly more than two years ago that at one time the thought of running 3.1 miles terrified me. Now the depth of my running insanity being what it is, when Gidg was over last night after dinner hanging out with Margaret she and I chatted about the logic inherent in altering the marathon training schedule to bump up to at least 20 mile runs starting next Sunday. What the hell has happened to me? I know not.

I have no idea how well or not this year's edition of the marathon shall go. I do know that the extraordinary weather we enjoyed all winter has made it a damn sight easier to prepare thus far then it was last year. I reckon I will find out on May's first Sunday whether the miles compiled on the sixteen Sundays leading up to it have been worth the wear and tear.

Or perhaps that is a question to which I already know the answer.

-AK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are back to running again (I remembered some of your writings last spring where you mentioned giving it up permanently--or did I misread it all?) Enjoy it all and stay healthy. Doc

Adam Kenny said...

Doc:

Thanks for dropping by and the kind words. As for running, I fear I am hooked. I really did not plan on taking a second crack at a marathon b/c I expected to meet my goal (4 hours or less) on my first go-round. I failed miserably, finishing in just under 4.5 hours. So now with my wife's blesssing I am back at it. Same goal as last year: 4 hours or less to become a "former marathoner". I shall let you know how I make out.

Be well. Talk to you soon.

Adam