Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Beauty of Youth

I spend a fair amount of my work time reviewing official documents such as medical records, witness statements and police reports. I have been doing what I do for close to twenty years now and it is not too often that I review a police report the contents of which actually brings a smile to my face. In the interest of full disclosure I must confess however that more than a decade ago I defended a case in Monmouth County involving my client's horse, which had broken free from a cart it had been pulling and decided to leap to freedom from my client's hilly yard and down onto the road below. Unfortunately his "Run for the Macadam" was interrupted by a passing motorist. The horse went through the windshield of the car, kicking the woman who was the front-seat passenger in the shoulder area and injuring her. While what happened to the horse was not funny - he had to be put down on the scene due to his injuries - the narrative description of the incident on the local cop's police report was outstanding. All these years later, I wish I had a copy of it.

Tuesday morning I awoke to see that my sister Kara had sent me an e-mail. The e-mail had an attachment. The attachment was a police report. As I tried to focus my eyes, which is not always easy to do at 3:30 in the morning, the only word I could make out initially was "Randy". He is the middle member of the Brothers Forsythe. I presumed that there was a relationship between Randy's name in the text of Kara's e-mail and the police report attached to it. I was right.

But I was also wrong. I was wrong because I assumed that Randy's involvement (not because he is not a terrific kid - which he is - but simply because his mom had forwarded it to his uncle the lawyer) was as one of the principals such as a driver of a vehicle that had been involved in an accident. His was in fact a much cooler and much nobler role. His was the role of rescuer.

Randy attends college at Delaware Valley College and is a freshman pitcher on the baseball team. He and his Aggies teammates (I know the nickname because I looked it up on the web site) are in Florida this week playing their first regular-season games. On Sunday night, he and one of his teammates were the first ones on the scene to assist the occupant(s) of a car involved in a single-vehicle accident in Port. St. Lucie. If you are a New York Mets fan you might have heard of this accident as the driver involved is the Mets bullpen catcher.

The driver flipped his car, which if the readings noted in the report of Deputy Sheriff Hayford of the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Department regarding the driver's blood alcohol content are accurate, might be fairly easy to explain. Randy apparently heard the crash, and ran over to see if he could be of any assistance. He directed one of his teammates to call 9-1-1 while he set to the task of trying to get the driver out of the car. He was unable to get him out of the vehicle through the driver's side so Randy moved around to the passenger's side, opened the passenger's door and got him to safety. Apparently once rescued from the vehicle Mr. Langill realized he might have some 'splaining to do to the police and to his employer so he attempted to remove himself from the area. Randy "persuaded" him to sit tight and wait for the police.

Hell of a good effort by Randy on two fronts. First, saving Langill from his most recent act of stupidity by getting him out of his car. Second, saving all of the good folks in the Port St. Lucie area from Langill's next hoped-for act of stupidity by not allowing him to run away from the scene before the police arrived.

His college baseball career is in its nascent stages. He has not yet earned his first decision on the mound. Yet, he has already notched his first save.

-AK

No comments: