Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Twilight's Last Gleaming

There are those of you who scoffed (I know who you are because I heard you....and do not think that the unique pitch and tone of your scoff eluded me) when I wrote in this space several weeks back of the magical properties of a certain t-shirt. I hope that you learned your lesson. For this past Sunday, my magical t-shirt and I moved again in lockstep - as we had on three prior post-season Sundays - to guide Coach Coughlin, Eli Manning and the boys from Mara Tech to victory in the Super Bowl. To my fellow Giants fans everywhere, let me say simply this, "You are welcome." And to a certain eighth-grade class in Marysville, Ohio let me add, "Thank you for letting us borrow your substitute math teacher."

Look for us not in the Canyon of Heroes on this glorious February day (although I do think the Giants are tempting fate by having a parade on "the Day after Monday"). I have work commitments that shall keep me from being there. My mystical cotton companion? He does not like crowds.

I suppose - although I have not asked - that he is looking forward to his extended vacation. Given the somewhat topsy-turvy nature of mojo, he shall be off until next post-season. Presuming the Giants earn a spot in the NFL playoffs at the end of the 2012 season, then we shall again place the team on our backs and attempt to carry them to yet another NFL championship. You know that old adage about waiting 'til next year? It apparently does not apply in the hallowed halls of bookmaking. Those who know have already listed odds on winning the 2013 Super Bowl, which shall be played on February 3, 2013 in N'Awlins. The morning-line favorite? It just might surprise you.

I shall miss my lucky charm while he is away. I think perhaps that Rosie might miss him more. For not only has he displayed talismanic qualities but a softer side was well. A softer side that Rosie very much enjoyed using as a bed/blanket/pillow upon which to sleep....which she did on each of the four Sunday nights during the Giants' march to the Super Bowl.

One last look at a legend - until next season anyway:


-AK

No comments: