Friday, February 10, 2012

The Pursuit of the Tattooed Demons

Today is going to suck. As Elvis Costello once crooned, "It's not open for discussion any more." Hopefully not for you and not in your part of the world. However, for me, in my part of the world, it most assuredly shall. For me, it is inevitable. For me, it is unavoidable. Above all else, it must be survivable. No other result is acceptable.

Today's arrival had been promised/threatened to me slightly more than three weeks ago. He who promised it shall be present today to ensure that I feel his presence when he delivers upon it. 'Tis the nature of the beast I suppose. For present purposes, there is not a thing I can do about it....other than stew over it a bit, which I have done. Today at least will bring a bit of closure on that front.

Earlier this week I must confess that I anticipated my theme for today was going to be something akin to, "Irish Alzheimer's Disease: You forget everything....except the grudges." The healthiest approach to take? Perhaps not. The most satisfying on an intense, visceral level? Undoubtedly. It is not however the approach I shall take.

Instead, I have adopted a Dickensian approach to getting through today, " Reflect upon your present blessings of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. I am constrained to admit that until I came across that quote on the Facebook page of someone with whom I went to high school on Tuesday I had no idea that Dickens ever wrote it. I also did not know that Tuesday was Charles Dickens' 200th birthday. To Obes, I say thank you for the education. To Chuck, I say the card is in the mail.

Because today will in fact represent the closing scene of but one act in this drama - with more excitement to come later - I can do nothing other than discuss it in broad generalities. I cannot discuss specifics. At some point - as yet undefined out there on the horizon line - there shall be another "today" or two. Once the final "today" has come and gone, presuming I am still here and you are still there we can chat about then in considerable detail. That is a discussion however for another day.

Today is upon me. I have faith - while today is not one of them - that better days are indeed coming....

Excuse me please. I must be on my way. I've a train to catch.

-AK

No comments: