Saturday, January 28, 2012

See-Saw Man

We have reached the final weekend of January. I risk jinxing us by saying this aloud I know but it appears as if we shall navigate the usually treacherous waters of January in Jersey with only getting smacked once by snow. If last Saturday's display was the worst punch that Mother Nature hits us with all winter, then color me thrilled. Just try to stay within the lines. I am enough of a mess without your help. I assure you.

I have spent weeks on trial - and in bad cases - that have generated less stress than this week did. I earn my living practicing law. I do not build anything (and somewhere Kelly smiles). I do not manufacture anything. One could argue that I do not create anything. All I do is try - for the most part - is save people from themselves. I am a tort defense lawyer - as if good pastry needs defending; right? By the time I meet my clients they have already allegedly done something that damaged another and that "another" is now seeking compensation. I suppose on some level I am a repairman. My job is to fix that which someone else has screwed up. I tend to think (cue the immodesty music) that I am good at what I do.

But being good at it does not mean that everyone can be saved. Certain things are beyond my ability to fix. That is a realization that brings little comfort and even less solace. And when it happens, it bums me out more than a little. This week was one of those weeks.

And it was a week that reiterated the importance of something with which I bore my kids to death: Peace. If you are one-half of a successful couple, you spend more time than you realize leaning on your other half. Well, sometimes you realize it easier than others.

This week was one of those weeks.

-AK

No comments: