Monday, January 9, 2012

Retro Vision

Margaret and I went to the movies on Saturday night. We took in George Clooney's new movie, The Descendants. I am not much of a moviegoer so I shall not pretend to know whether there are better bangs for your cinematic buck at the multiplex. I do know however that Clooney's movie was terrific. I shall confess - without giving away anything not already shared in the film's previews/teasers - that seeing Clooney play a guy whose wife was preparing to leave him unnerved me a bit. I mean for crying out loud he is George Clooney. In The Descendants he even plays a successful lawyer - and his wife was still preparing to leave him. Man, if Clooney can be cuckolded, what hope do the rest of us have? Anyway, if you are inclined to spend an evening (and $20.00 or so) taking in a film I recommend you see The Descendants. Clooney is terrific, the two young actresses who play his daughters are as well and the story is first-rate.

The coolest part of our Saturday night at the movies was the fact that because the movie was not playing in our neck of the woods, the Missus and I took a ride down towards Princeton to see it. We went to the Montgomery Cinema. Margaret had never been there. I had not been there since I was a little boy. In fact the last time I recall being there was when Kara, Jill and I went to see "In Search of Noah's Ark", which I happened so long ago that we were still living on Canal Road. Missed that one, eh? Given that most movies seem to get remade, perhaps "In Search of Noah's Ark" shall sail again.

If it does it will likely end up playing again at the Montgomery Cinema. Perhaps I shall see it again just to see how much the new edition has changed from the original. Having been inside the Montgomery Cinema for the first time in more than three decades Saturday night, I can attest to the fact that its setting has not changed much since its first voyage.

Not that it was a bad thing at all. There was something nice about going to see a movie at a place that trends towards the homespun as opposed to the fast-paced. It has been said that everything old is new again. As I was reminded Saturday night, there is more than just a kernel of truth in that old saw.

-AK

No comments: