Sunday, December 11, 2011

Skin Shedding

One week ago today -as Joe, Margaret and I sat in Terminal A at Newark Airport awaiting the departure of our flight to sunny FLA, I perused Facebook. As I did, I came across my old pal Dave Lackland's announcement to the world of the brand-new addition to his and his wife Tessa's family. At some point during the previous evening, little Indigo Atoll Lackland arrived on the scene.

While I have not spoken to Dave since his first-born son was born, I have communicated with him via text message. If it is possible to gauge one's emotion from the written word, then I would be willing to wager that each text message I received from Dave this week was sent while he was sporting an ear-to-ear grin.

For each of us, life is a journey - not a destination. Just eight days ago, Dave's journey went headlong into uncharted waters, which given his area of expertise I expect he will handle with aplomb. He is one of the world's genuinely good souls. I have never met his bride. However, given the tendency of water to seek and find its own level I have no doubt that Tessa is at the very least his equal.

Twenty-plus years ago Bruce Springsteen became a father for the first time. Shortly after the birth of his son Evan he wrote "Living Proof", a song expressing his visceral reaction to that moment. It is a song that begins with this lyric:

Well now on a summer night in a dusky room
Come a little piece of the Lord's undying light
Crying like he swallowed the fiery moon
In his mother's arms it was all the beauty I could take
Like the missing words to some prayer that I could never make
In a world so hard and dirty so fouled and confused
Searching for a little bit of God's mercy
I found living proof....


....and I presume that my old friend has now as well. And shall continue to do so every day.

-AK

No comments: