Friday, December 23, 2011

Reasons to Believe

At some point today both of the adults F/K/A children who resided with the Missus and me here in the State of Concrete Gardens shall be here again. I refer to it still as "home" when I think about their arrival fully confident that the only one fooled even momentarily by my euphemism is the cragged reflection that stares back at me from my bathroom mirror every morning. And candidly, not even he is immersed that deeply in self-denial. The guy on this side of the glass? Another story completely.

Tonight Rob shall fly east from Colorado - in the company of Jess (but not Tillie) - and Suz shall trek northeast from Texas - accompanied by Ryan. As far as I know, my daughter has not yet become a Pet Parent. I suppose I will know for certain by 10:00 p.m. or so. Their respective stays shall be far too brief. Experience has taught me that the time one's adult child spends "home" when he or she comes to visit seems to grow shorter and shorter with each trip. But they shall be here. They shall be here for Christmas Eve. They shall be here for Christmas morning. And because of that, Margaret could not be happier.

All my wife wanted this year for Christmas is that which she wants every year: those she loves the most gathered in the same place. Tomorrow night we shall convene at 113 Howard for our traditional Christmas Eve. The joint will be packed. And all of those who are capable of being there in the flesh shall be. And those whose presence is felt only in the sense that their spirit fills the space between and around those assembled shall be there too.

They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A veil of tears for the virgin's birth
I remember one Christmas morning
A winters light and a distant choir
And the peal of a bell and that Christmas tree smell
And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas
They sold me a silent night
And they told me a fairy story
'till I believed in the Israelite
And I believed in Father Christmas
And I looked at the sky with excited eyes
'till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave new year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
Hallelujah Noel be it heaven or hell
The Christmas you get you deserve....


I certainly hope that Margaret does. There is not a soul more deserving than my wife of having her Christmas wish granted. I shall do my level best to see that it is.

-AK

No comments: