Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Paging David Lee Roth to the Big White Courtesy Menorah

I hope like Hell that my office-issued desk calendar is right about two things today. First that Hanukkah - the Festival of Lights celebrated by those of the Jewish faith - begins begins tonight at sundown. Second, that it (and now by extension me) spelled "Hanukkah" correctly.

I remember how festive the final week prior to Winter Break always seemed to be at W-H. That last week of classes seemed like less work than other weeks because the overwhelming majority of the students were preparing to celebrate either Christmas or Hanukkah. In fact, if memory serves me correctly there were years on which Hanukkah came early enough that my Jewish friends had already lit a candle or two (or three) on the Menorah by the time Winter Break began....not to mention received a present or two or three.

I smile thinking of the friends of mine with whom I went to school preparing to celebrate Hanukkah this year. Hopefully this Hanukkah finds them and theirs safe and sound.

So grab your friend Ronnie. And tell her to remember to bring her mouth harp. There are presents to be opened, menorahs to be lighted and dreidels to be spun.

Happy Hanukkah!

-AK

No comments: