Sunday, December 4, 2011

Changes in Latitudes

Ahoy mateys! Today playing the role of Captain Hooky is Yours truly. The Missus, Joe and I are off today to spend a week in (hopefully) sunny Florida. The notion of taking a week's break from work is more than slightly alien to me. The notion of spending that week in Florida is off the charts.

I might well be one of the few Americans born and raised on the East Coast and over the age of forty who can count the number of times I have been within the geographical boundaries of the State of Florida on one hand. Mom has lived there for close to fifteen years and I have been there to see her on two occasions - and both "visits" centered around her being in the hospital. Margaret and I went on a cruise a number of years ago and flew in and out of Miami. The harbor area was lovely. The airport less so. And slightly more than three years ago, Margaret and I flew into Jacksonville prior to making a brief jaunt north to Georgia for Rob's graduation.

This morning I embark on Trip #5. Presuming Mr. Doppler has not been telling a fib on all the weather reports I spent the past week watching, our time there should be spent under sun-splashed skies enjoying temperatures in the upper 70's. Not a bad gig given it is December's first full week. Not a bad gig at all.

Vacation makes me lazy. Need proof? That is all for now. Enjoy your Sunday. Wheels up in 30....

I took off for a weekend last month
Just to try and recall the whole year
All of the faces and all of the places
Wonderin where they all disappeared
I didn't ponder the question too long
I was hungry and went out for a bite
Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum
And we wound up drinkin all night

Its these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
With all of our running and all of our cunning
If we couldnt laugh we would all go insane

Reading departure signs in some big airport
Reminds me of the places Ive been
Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure
Makes me want to go back again
If it suddenly ended tomorrow
I could somehow adjust to the fall
Good times and riches and son of a bitches
Ive seen more than I can recall

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
Through all of the islands and all of the highlands
If we couldnt laugh we would all go insane

I think about paris when Im high on red wine
I wish I could jump on a plane
So many nights I just dream of the ocean
God I wish I was sailin again
Oh, yesterdays over my shoulder
So I can't look back for too long
There's just too much to see waiting in front of me
And I know that I just can't go wrong

With these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
With all of my running and all of my cunning
If I couldnt laugh I just would go insane
If we couldnt laugh we just would go insane
If we werent all crazy we would go insane....

....enjoy the trip. I intend to.

-AK

No comments: