Monday, October 24, 2011

Happy Returns

Mom's discharge from the hospital was bumped back one day from yesterday to this morning. From this point forward for her the fun really starts. At least effetive today she will be home to wage the war. Home-field advantage is worth something right? Unless you are the Miami Dolphins. Then, not so much.

My hunch is that Mom will make excellent use of hers. She is too damn tough and too much of a survivor to do anything else but that which she needs to do. The entirety of my life she has been the toughest, bravest woman I know.

Yesterday was simply a glorious day here in the State of Concrete Gardens. My law partner Arnie's 5K race in Livingston went off without a hitch. The Missus repeated her sterling work as a volunteer. Mother Nature provided Arnie with a day that was a carbon copy of last year's inaugural edition weather-wise, which is to say it was a beautiful late October Sunday. Ideal weather in which to run.

It made my legs so happy that I ran the second-fastest 5K time I have ever run, which considering the dizzying heights of mediocrity I have achieved in the couple of years since I started running on a regular basis is not something that the rest of the world might deem noteworthy. I wonder if that is what is meant by history being in the mind of the teller.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

-AK

No comments: